Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Secret Depression Diary Archives - Zero Fax Given? Part 2

A man in the lobby had also been yelled at by So-and-So and was now looking at me while his eyes began to fill with tears. He had been waiting for hours to have his own issue resolved. He asked me what was going on. I LOUDLY began explaining that apparently it takes months to get anything done here and you can't ask for anything without a string of people yelling at you. That's the system! The man leaned on his cane and we continued talking back and forth in the lobby for a few minutes. He asked me about other neurologists and I let him know that there are a number of practices that my own insurance doesn't cover but his might.I guess we were speaking a little too loudly. I guess I was trembling and crying a little too noticeably. The office manager shuffled me into a door and then into her cubicle. She began by making excuses. Excuses are neither management nor medical care. "Why do you want your medical records?" This was twice now I had been asked by the a staff member. Honestly, does it matter why I want my medical records? I have the right to a copy of them, do I not?It felt like when I was telling my junior high boyfriend that I wasn't going to break up with him. "No, I'm not leaving you for someone else. I just want my hoodie back."Damn.I was emotional but rational. I started by asking why it was impossible to change the address of my default pharmacy in the computer - the address was incorrect, the pharmacy in another town, and with every prescription I have to call and fight to have my meds sent to MY pharmacy not some pharmacy over an hour away in a different city. The office manager was surprised when she pulled up my chart. "Oh wow, why hasn't this been corrected? This isn't your pharmacy."Ya know, I don't know lady, you're the one who has been managing the place for 19 years. I didn't say that. Why is it going to take another week to get my medical records?"Why do you want your medical records?""Listen, I have the right to my medical records. If you MUST KNOW I want to go to a therapist. I'm not leaving your practice. We are like so totally not breaking up. Ok?" That time I did say it. I also told the manager that I was the lucky because I possess the cognitive function necessary to constantly track their errors and fight them for every scrap of paper. Other patients are not so lucky. I would gladly do 100% of my own administrative paperwork but unfortunately I'm not authorized to perform pieces of the process, that I need from you.These are human lives your are dealing with and quite frankly I get more compassion out of my grocery clerk than anyone in your front office. I literally cry with happiness when I go anywhere else for medical care because I am treated like a person."You'll have your medical records when you leave today." Ridiculous. I'm a 43 year old woman and I had to make a scene to get my medical records.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!